The ultimate cold and flu tonic
While pharmaceutical medications have a significant role in our lives today, there are many ways that we can incorporate natural remedies into our lives that can also improve our health.
When a dear friend of mine advised that she was coming down with a cold and wanted to find a natural remedy, she found a scary, yet intriguing drink called Fire Cider.
This folk remedy may seem scary when you learn that it consists of ingredients such as onion, garlic, habaneros, horseradish, ginger, turmeric, rosemary, lemon, orange and raw apple cider vinegar, but the benefits are even scarier. 🙂
Life can be busy but I have started to explore additional, natural remedies to add to my daily life to try to reduce the need for medications and decrease sick time. There are simple ways that we can introduce herbalism into our lives. There are natural recipes that you can make at home and I encourage you to take a look at Rosemary Gladstar’s, Herbal Recipes for Vibrant Health and Medicinal Herbs: A Beginner’s Guide. I have based my fire cider recipe off of hers and I am excited to share it with you.
This recipe is a healthy and affordable cold remedy that has zero side effects!
What are the health benefits you ask?
- Lemons are a great source of Vitamin C (immune support), potassium (heart health and aids in brain and nerve function), aids in digestion by loosening toxins in your digestive tract, releasing indigestion and heartburn, and reduces inflammation.
- Horseradish contains good amounts of dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, aiding in weight loss, reducing blood pressure, boosting metabolism and increasing bone health.
- Onions are a vegetable containing calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, selenium, phosphorus, Vitamin C, Vitamin B6 and dietary fiber, all aiding in preventing cancer, heart disorders, diabetes, the common cold, asthma, bacterial infections, respiratory problems, angina, and coughs.
- Ginger can treat many forms of nausea, especially morning sickness. It has anti-inflammatory effects that can help with osteoarthritis, and may drastically lower blood sugars and improve heart health. Containing gingerol, it which is a substance that has powerful medicinal properties
- Garlic contains a compound called allicin which has potent medicinal properties. It is highly nutritious and few calories. The active compounds can also reduce blood pressure, improve cholesterol levels, and possibly lower the risk of heart disease.
- Turmeric contains bioactive compounds with medicinal properties. It dramatically increases the antioxidant capacity of the body, boosting brain-derived neurotrophic factor, linked to improved brain function, lowering risk of brain diseases and heart disease. It is known to delay liver damage, make cancer cells more vulnerable to chemo and radiation, inhibit the growth of malignant melanoma and breast cancer, and alleviate arthritis symptoms.
- Habaneros contain a high concentration of vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber and the compound capsaicin. Diets rich in the nutrients provided by habanero peppers may help prevent development of numerous, potentially serious medical conditions as well as boost your metabolism.
- Oranges are rich in citrus limonoids, proven to help fight a number of varieties of cancer, including that of the skin, lung, breast, stomach, and colon. They are full of Vitamin C, which protects cells by neutralizing free radicals. Free radicals cause chronic diseases, like cancer and heart disease.
- Rosemary reduces anxiety and has calming effects, by elevating moods and boosting memory. It also provides pain and headache relief.
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar is rich in enzymes, pectin, nutrients, B Vitamins, folic acid and potassium. It supports bowel regularity and toxin removal while promoting digestion and a healthy alkaline state. It also reduces heartburn!
- Raw Honey reduces ulcers and other gastrointestinal disorders. Helps to reduce cough and throat irritation!
Making this an amazing combination of health benefits, fit to treat your cold and improve everyday health!
How to make it?
- 1 large horseradish root that is about 7 inches long (scrubbed clean and skin peeled)
- 1 large ginger root about 7 inches long
- 1 large onion (peeled)
- 1 large orange
- 1 lemon
- 20 garlic cloves (peeled)
- 4 habanero peppers (stems removed)
- 2 Tablespoons ground fresh turmeric
- 4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar
- Raw honey to taste
Finely chop up all of the ingredients and evenly distribute between 2 glass quart jars. top the jars with the Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. Once the jars are full, put a piece of parchment paper on top. Go ahead and screw the lid on and leave in a cool and dry place.
Let infuse for 4-5 weeks.
Filter the infused mixture into a clean jar or bottle.
Refrigerate and drink within a year.
Prepare: 1 TBL Fire Cider, topped with hot water and honey to taste.
Stay tuned for Fire Cider recipes to come…