Homemade Limoncello and Orangecello is super easy to make and it is great for a dessert drink, poured over sorbet, or as a gift…
- Zest 20 Lemons or Oranges (scrubbed and cleaned) and place the zest/peels in a 1 gallon glass jar
- Fill 1 gallon glass jar with 80-100 proof vodka (it doesn’t have to be expensive)
- Place in a cool place, away from direct sunlight
- Let infuse for 25-30 days, stirring occasionally (the more lemony the better!!)
- When the vodka tastes very lemony, strain the vodka a few times to ensure that ALL of the lemon zest is out
- Now it is time to start the simple syrup!!
- Simmer 5 cups of water with 5 cups of white sugar until the sugar has dissolved completely
- Let cool until it gets to room temperature
- In a separate container or glass jar, start to mix the infused vodka and simple syrup together
- I add it to taste, but my preference is 3 parts vodka and 1 part simple syrup!
Bottle and enjoy!!!
Best if kept refrigerated… be sure to give the bottles a light shake before serving!! 🙂
Try with Oranges to make Orangecello!!!
Want more cocktail ideas? Check out Juniper Mary, a refreshing winter cocktail!